Thursday, January 12, 2017

Terrain: Technobridge 001

Some years ago I got myself a Pegasus Technobridge. I still think its one of the coolest simple terrain kits to come along ever. Nothing ever got done with that first bridge past assembly. I had ideas aplenty but just wasn't comfortable enough to try em. I did end up using Google Sketchup to mock up a couple things.

Fast forward to the present and I've got four technobridges in my stack of terrain material. I scored two for the price of one on eBay over the holidays and when they arrived I couldn't resist...

I took a few measurements and got to sketching.

As it came together in my head and notebook, I told myself I wouldn't let this one get away from me like the (still incomplete) drawbridge project or sump ruin... but the bridge is 24" long to begin with. This project was already out of hand. The overall footprint will be 24"x18". Two inches of foam will form the base that the bridge ramps will sit on, The deck will be 3.5" above tabletop. I plan to add pylons made of CoD tiles and a pedestrian walk to one side. Under the bridge will be a canal and some pipelines.

I've got a pretty good idea how this will all come together in the end. As far as materials go all I need is bit of MDF for the base and some 2" foam; everything else I have already. This is very much a project still in planning. In reviewing prior builds I've come to realize that I lose momentum and focus when I don't have a proper plan. This project has a lot of little things to get knocked out before I start putting it all together. If I do it right though, the final assembly will be like putting a Lego set together.



Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Leman Russ Salvage 003

Build phase continues this month with the second to last bit of the Leman Russ salvage project before paint. I poured a mound of some essential pieces not so readily available. Before anyone asks, these aren't up for sale at all.

The last thing to do on both of these models is some greenstuff in the form of lenses on the turret targeting array and gap filling. I plan to get greenstuff work done on a few different projects all at once.



Sunday, January 8, 2017

Inq28: The Witchhunter

The first model I have put time into in 2017 is my Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor. Witchhunter Lutor, the 40k equivalent of Witchhunter Gero from Mordheim. I decided against using Gideon Lorr to head this warband.

I was quite proud of that sculpt, the hat especially. The varnish ended up way to glossy and no matter what I tried it never toned down.

As mentioned in a previous post, I am building this new warband to reflect my old one. So a Witchhunter Inquisitor will lead five priests with chainswords that count as eviscerators. The Empire Priest will be an Arbites Enforcer. I've got one priest, one of the old Imperial Missionary models. I decided to track down the other Imperial Missionary as well as the Imperial Priest models to fill the other four slots. More on them once they arrive. The hounds are accounted for,

Witchhunter Lutor is armed with a powersword with antique hotshot laslock inbuilt. The sword comes from the Empire Freeguild Outrider kit unless I miss my guess. The torch comes from the Flagellant kit, the body is from the Bretonnian Men at Arms kit, and the head from the Space Marine Scout kit. I have to greenstuff his left arm into place as well as some gubbinz on the sword. After that I'll be waiting on some backpacks from Mad Robot Miniatures to arrive before I can finish him up.



Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy New Year

Man, 2016 was brutal.

It swept through and took beloved celebrities while leaving us with President Elect Trump...

I hope 2017 is a brighter year.

This past year I only managed to get ten minis painted. TEN! Man what a slack job... This year fortunes have turned and I'll have about twice the hobby time I had last year. Maybe I can get as many as twenty minis painted.

I spent the first night of the new year sorting bits and eating Christmas candies.

Build Phase will continue through January as previously reported.