Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hobby: Paint Kebabs

This is my paint kebab block. This great rectangle of styrofoam came as packing materials in some parcel or other. I originally thought of carving it up and using it for terrain, and left it on my desk, hoping inspiration would strike... While I was not disappointed, I was a bit surprised.

I don't know exactly which project I started using paint kebabs on. They are my low cost solution to using corks (the wine I like doesn't have a cork). I do know that every time I need more it takes less than 5 minutes to whip a few up.

This is all it takes to create a few to start.

One bamboo skewer can be cut into four paint kebabs. I just clip them to approximately equal length with my beat up sprue cutters. One paint kebab will have a pointy end installed already, the other three pieces I just whittle to points with my stencil knife.

Next I bore a hole in the other end to receive a length of floral wire, then secure the wire in place with a dab of super glue.

VoilĂ . They really are simple. When they wear down or break I can just craft some new ones. Same thing if I need more for a project.

One of the inherent benefits of using wires for this purpose is that when its time for a wash to be applied, I can position the bit in such a way that it mimics the final spot on a model it will hold. In my opinion this helps the overall cohesiveness of a figure painted in pieces.

I'm off to work on some flamer troops.

Cheers,

CJ

5 comments:

  1. This is really cool. I do something similar but your method is a bit more elegant. One challenge I have though, what do you use to adhere the parts to the kebab?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drill a small hole in the bits and insert the wire.

      Delete
  2. Right, but do you use glue of some sort or just the fit of the wire in the hole? Mine tend to rotate on me - making painting tough. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I misunderstood before. I tend to fit the wire into the hole. If the piece is especially loose on the end of the wire, I'll crimp the end of the wire to deform it, then jam the bit on there. Usually though, the pieces stay in place with the basecoat acting as an adhesive.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete