Thursday, March 22, 2018

Monster March Update

 We're into Spring now and my monster is really blooming!

...I'm done I promise.

 I have been cracking right along though. I've got the legs done to the point I can mount them to the base, since that's done too.

 My first idea was to treat it like a normal infantry model and drive the pins through the base.

That shit didn't work. The idea just doesn't scale properly. Luckily for me the JB Weld hadn't completely set and I was able to peel the pins off and try again. I put the pins in the legs of my Knight and that worked out a lot better. JB Weld is pretty handy stuff.

As of this evening this is where progress currently sits. The carapace is more or less done. I've glued the chest, face, and the plate above the head on. The battle cannon is ready for highlights and touch up, and the gatling cannon is ready for it's all over black wash. As long as nothing crazy happens in the next ten days I should have no problem getting this guy done.

Next update will be the completed Knight!



Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Necromunda: Gang Roundup

With the new Van Saars being teased last week I decided to get all my gangers together for a photo session.

 The new box set got me set up with both Eschers and Goliaths, both gangs that appealed to me the least in the last couple iterations of the game.

 The new Orlock plastics are definitely a step up from the originals.

 My favorite gang has always been Van Saar. These are Mad Robot Miniatures Vanderbilt Fighters. Thanks to the work of Mad Robot Steve I have some juves for this gang. I plan to hunt some down for all my other gangs as well but I expect it will be slow going.

Finally my Scum! He's lonely for now but with all these new bounty hunters and hangers-on that are listed in Gang War II and been announced will see some more like minded underhivers joining the pool.

I'm probably going to end up with one of each core gang box at the least. I've always liked the setting and so why not? Also I've got Chaos and Genestealer cultists that are waiting to have something done with them so why not add some heretics and a xenos menace in my underhive?



Saturday, March 17, 2018

Paint Table Saturday

It's assembly table Saturday this week. I took a trip over to the new Warhammer store in Layton to check it out and ended up leaving with Gang War II and the Orlock box set.

First thing I decide to do was convert an Orlock leader with a meltagun and an eye patch.
Happy St. Patricks!



Thursday, March 15, 2018

Terrain: Garden of Morr 001

It's been a busy week for me. I've been working non stop on half of a Sigmarite Mausoleum or as it used to be billed, The Garden of Morr. I always liked the death cult in the old WFB Empire. There were some excellent conversions around... ah the nostalgia!

 I started with giving everything a coat of primer while still on sprue. I then clipped out and assembled the tombs. After that everything got painted Rob Hawkins style... I know I'm not the only one to have been inspired by his work on this particular project lately. I painted all the walls and fence pieces while still on the sprues, clipping them off when I was ready to start applying shades.

This is the part where I skip some of the step by step photos for the last couple steps before being completely done. The next step is an all over wash of Nuln Oil and then some spot drybrushing. I'm pretty happy with how it's come out so far. Stay tuned to see it finished.



Thursday, March 8, 2018

Monster March Update

I've managed to get a lot of painting on my first Knight done in the past few days. The house heraldry is the blue and yellow, with a quarter blocked out to signify an alliance with the Mechanicus.

My idea for a household is a filthy rich Rogue Trader raised his banner and a few Freeblades came to the call. They provided fire power and support while the trader plied the fringe. The Freeblade pilots formed a household of sorts. Eventually the Trader 'retired' to the governership of a deep space way station. The Knights became a powerful force on the station and were able to hire out as a mercenary band to myriad nearby systems. After a thousand years or so they had adopted uniform heraldry and made strong alliances to a forgeworld in the sector. The household has persisted to the 41st millennia.

It works for me.



Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Inq28: Witch Hunter 003

I've been working on a little of everything since I finished up my Squaduary pledge. Now before I discovered Monster March I had planned to do some work on my Inq28 warbands.

 First thing was to find everyone a base. I made custom bases for this warband last year. Once I got everyone squared away the next step is to get the two painted Imperial Priests cleaned up.

I went to my go to stripper, brake fluid. This stuff is awesome. Different people recommend different methods of cleaning off models and this is mine. It works wonders.

I used a toothbrush and a pick to work all the paint off the model. I was surprised how thick the paint had been slathered on these guys but two soaks were enough to handle it. I will leave the models in the jar for 24 hours and then go to work. Once the easy layers sloughed off they went back in the jar for another hour or two, then I went to work with the pick. Pick and rinse, pick and rinse.

After the priests were clean I got everyone pinned to their bases and threw a basecoat of black primer over em. Getting a pin in the cyberhound's paw was a pain but it worked. Now I just need to work out what colours I want to paint everyone.



Saturday, March 3, 2018

Paint Table Saturday

A quick update for this weekend. I'm working on my Monster March pledge.

It's just the shoulders but I feel like I know where I want the paintjob to go now.

Stay tuned for progress of this monster all month!