No Paint Table Saturday progress to speak of this week due to the fact that I've been cutting cardboard packets into strips and setting straight pin rivets for the Arbites Precinct House.
A worthy sacrifice for this terrain project. I ended up using this mac&cheese packet, one cracker packet, and half a cereal packet.
These 2" strips were attached around the outer wall to add some detail to what was otherwise plain. Then I connected all the vertical strips with horizontal strips. I covered these joints with rivet plates, then capped the walls.
These short pins had to be clipped in half to fit
You can see here the ramp's detail as well. I added tread plates to help tracked vehicles make it up into the vehicle bay, as well as lots and lots of pin rivets. The Imperium loves rivets.
I covered the roof in sections of plastic canvas, or 'granny grating' as it is more commonly billed in gaming circles, divided by strips of .030x.060 styrene. The hatch in the roof is cardboard with the join drawn on heavily in ball point. The front doors to the Arbites House is a section of one of the CoD kits. For whatever reason I had this section in my bits box. I added an extra support column to the panel, then cut out a gap for it to sit in. The door panel is secured with hot glue.\
Next up to do on this project is detailing the walkway around the wall, then finish the landing pad.
On Saturday's paint table update, I mentioned very briefly the mystery project I have been working on. Now it is revealed: an Adeptus Arbites Precinct House. This model will represent a surface entrance to an Arbites Hall. There is a landing pad, defensive ramp, and plenty of firing position offered. I'm working on the project as part of Terragenesis.co.uk's regular competitions. Their site is amazing if you're a terrain enthusiast.
These are the tools I used to get the patterns I needed drawn out on the foamcore. The adjustable square came in handy more than you might expect. I also cannot stress the usefulness of a nice steel ruler. Mine cost $2 at Walmart.
Using the above tools I was able to turn my single piece of foamcore into a sort of terrain flatpack.
33 pieces make up the core construction of the piece.
I cut the deck of the Precinct House to accept the buttresses of the walls. Then I set about assembling the walls. I wish I had remembered to take photos when I was performing the assembly, but once I got rolling, it was too late.
The underside of the piece. You can see the bracing around the edge, securing the deck to the walls and buttresses. I measured a line around the perimeter of all the walls and the tower for the landing pad and added supports at that uniform height all around.
The base measures 17"x24" and is 1/8" thick MDF. Next up will be hiding the seams with card detailing, as well as detailing the main deck, Precinct Entrance, and landing pad.
A few weeks ago, A Sent One asked in a comment how I make power cables from wrapped floral wire. In this post I will explain the process.
Here is an example of one of these power cables in action. This method is by no means unique. I came up with the idea as a theoretical one day, 'Can I make my own power cables from wire?' while I was twisting up some razor wire sections. Eventually I tried it out when I needed some power cable for a conversion. It worked, and so I never looked back.
I get these spools of floral wire from Michael's for something like $2. The green is 22 GA and the silver is 30 GA. The 22 GA works great for armatures for sculpting, as well as being my go to pinning wire.
I wrap the 30 GA wire around the 22 GA wire, holding the end with a pair of needle nose pliers. I pinch the wire to the shaft with my left hand, then turn the shaft with my right. Once I build up enough coil, I can twist it without having to grip it in the pliers.
Three inches finished in a few minutes. Once you get the hang of it, the process is pretty simple.
I ordered these .063"x .031" rare earth magnets from Magcraft and installed them in my Sentinel. I then added magnets in the weapon systems and their respective accessories. The magnets are small and easy to lose, so if you decide to order some be careful. In my fingers they felt especially tiny.
I have the options made ready for both Armoured and Scout Sentinel. I have another kit and I plan to build the same configuration with it. I will then use the left over Armageddon pattern bits to convert some eBay salvage jobs I won last year.
I added army markings and unit id on the walker. After the unit gets some kills, I will add the appropriate kill markers.
Once I finish with the eBay Sentinels and the other new kit, I'll have five total. I plan to convert some heavy bolters and multi-meltas to round out the weapon selection. It is always fun to herd Ork Boyz from the flanks :D
Welcome back! This week has been another mostly assembly focused week, with the goal of getting my 'counts as' Henchmen all put together. My rare earth magnets arrived as expected, and I got the Sentinel weapons ready to mount.
Here they are all ready for paint. You can also see the weapons for the Henchmen stuck into the styrofoam block.
Here are the remaining 24 Henchmen with their basecoats. I hope to have better progress to showcase next week.