Thursday, September 8, 2016

Deathwatch 005: Sculping Text

MasterSlowPoke asked me in the comments to the last installment of the Deathwatch Contemptor how I go about sculpting the text in the greenstuff. Here is a brief tutorial on how I went about the process for the single line of text on the Contemptor forearm.

First I marked out where I wanted the text to go. Using a sharp blade and a file I carefully removed a channel about 1/32" deep and 1/16" wide.

Once the channel was ready I mixed a bit of greenstuff and rolled it into a tube, then worked it into the channel. Using the edge of the blade on my sculpting tool I marked out the blocks for individual letters. Next I used a pick to make indents in the blocks. If you squint it says +ORDOXENOS. My tools for this are pictured above, the standard GW sculpting tool and a dental pick.

For the lines of text on the shoulder pad I performed basically the same process. I ended up with what looks like lines of text.

I hope this helps anyone who has a Deathwatch conversion, or Astartes army for that matter, in mind.

Cheers,

CJ

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant work, man! Really dig how that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I want to try making my letters more crisp next time. I've got some ideas to test out...

      Delete
  2. Excellent work, and the last picture with the tools really shows how small this work is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye it was a bit fiddly. Overall its good to get outta my comfort zone.

      Delete