Of course, I can be counted on not to leave well enough alone.
Next I cut a base out and marked the bunker entrance. I used my drill to bore the holes for the bamboo skewers that will secure the foam bunker to the MDF base. Tacky glue holds the foam to the MDF while the skewers are held in foam with the wood glue. I beveled the edge of the base with my stencil knife.
With the foam Chimera Bunker securely fastened to the MDF base I built up the new entrance with styrene H bar and coffee stirrers. The transition ramp is black plastic canvas, textured plasticard, and of course grit. I used spackle to blend the bunker to the base and cover up the remnants of the static grass. Once the spackle set I gave it a coat of grit. I also added a bit of barbed wire at the 'low' side of the bunker.
One of the things I considered when this piece first arrived was to cut off all the sandbags and replace em with smaller ones. That way all the sandbags on my board at any one time would match. Then I decided that maybe there's a Pioneer Corps detachment wandering around with some indentured Ogryns who can easily pack sandbags that size... It sounds like a fun project to take on some day.
Anyhow, all that is left to get this piece finished is painting. Stay tuned.