Sunday, March 8, 2015

Terrain: Imperial Excavator 002

Deconstruction continued on the Tonka toy for an hour or so, while I took out screws and recovered archeotech from the beast. Here is what I ended up with...

There were four electric motors to govern the function of the drive, boom, and bucket; not to mention all the gears to transfer the momentum. A side effect of gutting this thing is a couple pieces that look sort of like things one might find in a derelict factory. I plan to use 'em in future projects.

Using thin card I added some ironwork to the boom and stick. I also used a tp roll to cover the gap a the base of the boom where the worky bits of the toy fit. Straight pins have been used as rivets.


I used clippers to tear through the hull of the excavator and it left a pretty wicked gash. The socket the boom fits into was full of wires and worky parts which ran the toy. As previously stated I gutted the monster and then reformed the socket with more thin card and the rest of the tp roll. This is the base layer for the detail I plan to add to make the excavator look more 'Imperial'.


The last photos here shows the scale of this thing pretty well. It's big.

Cheers,

CJ

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! Looking forward to the end product

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...in which I attempt to make construction equipment from m41 look like it was built in 1890's xD

      Delete