Friday, May 13, 2016

Gideon MBT 002: Weaponizing

With five different main armaments to chose from, the Gideon can fill any roll you might need it for, With a little hobby savvy, I decided to have it all.

I originally thought magnets for my Gideon, and I may still end up adding a couple down the line. For now, I decided on a male female connector using styrene tube and rod.

I tried to take a photo while I was doing the converting on the turret, but really... it's a series of holes. So I drew out a cutaway.

First thing I did was drill a 1/16" pilot hole in the center of the gun mantlet. From this hole I lined up the four barrels and drilled pilots into each one. Then I centered the mantlet on the turret and drilled another pilot. For the autocannons, I placed the gun mantlets back to back and drilled the pilot. The pilot holes were all bored out to 3/16". On the turret I then drilled in deeper with a 1/8" bit, then deeper again with the 1/16" bit.

I fit each barrel with a 3/16" piece of styrene tube and super glued them in place. This made my male connectors. For the female connector in the turret, I used a piece of 1/8" tube with 1/16" rod inside. In the diagram above you can see how I used the rod to anchor the tube... well that and more super glue. Friction serves to hold the barrel of choice in place with the mantlet.

Next up is the assembly of the main hull.

Cheers,

CJ